Wednesday, March 23, 2011

More Tales from the Writing Cave: That's A Lot Of Power

Today I realized a few critical things.

One, winter isn't quited done with Western New York. That may seem a trite observation, but trust me, it's a fairly large factor if you live here.

Two, the advent of the digital age has empowered me as more than simply a reader. It's empowered me as a writer also. I can write absolutely anything I want to. If I have a good story to tell, it no longer matters whether or not an already established publishing house likes my stuff. I don't have to wait for someone else to give my writing their stamp of approval. I can approve it myself, and I can publish it myself. I can have absolute control over the artwork that represents my book. I can say yeah or nay to possible editing issues...because I'd be the Editor in Chief.

Pretty cool.

Because for me, in the end only two things really matter. The first is whether or not I think the story is worth telling. The second is whether or not I can find readers out there who agree with their wallets. Because if I never make a best-seller list is a lot less important to me than if I make a living doing something I love. So I'm looking around. I'm thinking it through. After all that is done I'll weigh my options, and make a decision. Because ultimately the power rests with me.

That's a lot of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your take?